LAFC added one of the top goalkeepers in MLS in a blockbuster trade with Vancouver on Jan. 20. In what is one of the deals for a goalkeeper in MLS history, the 2021 and 2019 Whitecaps Player of the Year joins the Black & Gold in exchange for $1 million. The Candiac, Quebec product brings extensive experience both from MLS and with the Canadian National Team to Los Angeles. Check out everything you need to know about Crepeau:
WHAT JOHN THORRINGTON IS SAYING:
“We are thrilled to add a goalkeeper of Maxime’s quality to our roster. We consider Maxime to be one of the top goalkeepers in MLS. Like us, we know he is committed to winning, and his leadership and experience will contribute to our success on the field.”
WHAT HEAD COACH STEVE CHERUNDOLO IS SAYING:
“Max is a goalkeeper who has already proven himself in this league and has a reputation of being one of the better goalkeepers in MLS and to have him in our backline and his ability to communicate is a plus. He will give the players that feeling of, ‘Hey, we have a very experienced goalkeepers behind us who is a stalwart in goal.’ On top of all that – he is a good communicator. So, we are extremely excited to have Max back there.”
- Crépeau a career-high six shutouts in 27 games in 2021.
- Named the 2021 and 2019 Whitecaps FC Player of the Year.
- A member of the Canadian National Team
- Has made 14 appearances for Canada.
- Born in Greenfield Park, Canada. Grew up in Candiac, Quebec.
- Speaks French and English
- Began playing soccer when he was seven years old.
- Started his career in the Montreal Impact Academy.
- Won the Canadian Championship with Impact de Montreal in 2013.
- Won the Allstate Canada Soccer Good Hands Award in 2106
- Made his MLS debut in 2017.
- Set the record for most shutouts in USL history, recording 15 clean sheets in 2018.
- Named the USL 2018 Goalkeeper of the Year
- Acquired by Vancouver in a trade with Montreal prior to the 2019 MLS season.
- Named the Canada Soccer Players of the Month for August, 2019
- Made a total of 57 MLS regular season starts in his Vancouver career – playing in one MLS Playoff game and three Canadian Championship matches.
- Missed the majority of the 2021 season due to a fractured thumb suffered during the MLS Is Back Tournament.
- In his MLS career, has appeared in 60 regular season games, playing 5,368 minutes and recording 12 total shutouts.
- Favorite player growing up was Iker Casillas
- Some other favorite athletes include Mike Cammalleri, Roger Federer and Carey Price