LAFC remained undefeated in 2022 with a 2-0 win over Inter Miami CF on Saturday afternoon in Fort Lauderdale, FL, improving their record to 2-0-1 (W-L-T) with seven points on the season.
A muggy, windy afternoon that ended in a driving rainstorm could not deter the Black & Gold, as they used a goal from Mahala Opoku in the 45th minute to take the lead at the end of the first half. LAFC went up a man just before halftime when Miami defender Brek Shea fouled Brian Rodríguez on a breakaway and was red carded.
In the second half, LAFC substitute Ismael Tajouri-Shradi put the game out of reach with a goal off a free kick in the 82nd minute in his LAFC debut.
The Black & Gold are back in action on Sunday, March 20 when they host the Vancouver Whitecaps at Banc of California Stadium at 7:00 p.m. The game will be broadcast locally on KCOP 13 (ENG), Estrella TV Ch. 62 (SPA), ESPN 710 AM, ESPN App, and 980 AM La Mera La Mera.
NEWS & NOTES:
- Mahala Opoku scored his first career MLS goal in the 45th minute vs. Miami in what was his 11th MLS match. Mahala scored his first LAFC goal on Dec. 16, 2020, knocking in the late game-winner vs. Cruz Azul in the Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals.
- Mahala appeared in only four MLS matches in 2021 after suffering a season-ending knee injury on May 12, 2021 while on loan with the USL’s Las Vegas Lights.
- Carlos Vela started and played 70 minutes vs. Miami after departing at halftime on March 6 vs. Portland.
- After missing the first two games due to injury, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi made his LAFC debut in the 70th minute and scored on a free kick in the 82nd minute. It was his first MLS goal since Aug. 7, 2021 with NYCFC.
- LAFC has now started four of their first five seasons in Club history undefeated in their first three matches.