Mamadou Fall headed LAFC into the lead early, Samuel Grandsir answered for the LA Galaxy not long after, and both El Tráfico rivals missed a chance to inflict more damage on the others' postseason hopes in a 1-1 draw on Sunday at Dignity Health Sports Park.
While both teams entering on three straight defeats, the Galaxy may leave arguably the more satisfied with Sunday's result, if only because they began the night holding the sixth Western Conference spot in the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs.
They'll remain sixth for the moment, level on points with Real Salt Lake but behind on the second tiebreak of goal differential, while LAFC move within four points of Minnesota United -- and five back of the Galaxy -- for the seventh and final spot.
Both teams had arguably each team's best chance at all three points came within seconds of each other. Galaxy defender Nick DePuy's header struck the crossbar in the 61st minute, before 'keeper Jonathan Bond pushed Francisco Ginella's effort onto the other crossbar in the 62nd.
Lletget's later looping header also hit the left post for LA, and LAFC had a compelling penalty shout on a challenge between Cristian Arango and Bond.
- 11' - LAFC - Mamadou Fall
- 19' - GAL - Samuel Grandsir
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Galaxy edge the 2021 El Trafico series, finishing with a win and two draws. But Sunday's match also equaled LAFC's best result ever at Dignity Health Sports Park, improving their record there to 0W-4L-2D.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The goal went to Grandsir. But much of the credit should go to Victor Vazquez for providing an inch-perfect ball and at the exact time necessary for the Frenchman to beat LAFC's offside trap.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Mamadou Fall. The 18-year-old center back is proving an impressive weapon on set pieces, with all three of his MLS goals coming off corner kicks. And as LAFC continues to soldier on with Eddie Segura sidelined for the remainder of the year, Fall's solid defensive showing against the likes of Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez and others was a major and necessary boost.
- LAFC: Saturday, October 16 vs San Jose Earthquakes | 12:30 pm PT (Univision, TUDN, Twitter)