The Los Angeles Football Club was eliminated from the 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with a 2-0 loss to the LA Galaxy on Tuesday night at BMO Stadium. Playing their third game in seven days, LAFC made seven changes from the team that defeated San Jose 2-1 on Saturday night.
Despite the changes, LAFC was able to force Galaxy goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann into five first half saves while at the other end of the field LAFC goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic also made five saves, including a 34th minute penalty kick from Riqui Puig to keep the game scoreless.
After the break, the Galaxy scored twice in the opening seven minutes with Tyler Boyd giving the visitors a 1-0 lead in the 49th minute before Puig doubled the lead three minutes later to round out the scoring.
NEWS & NOTES
- With the loss, LAFC has been eliminated from the U.S. Open Cup.
- This was the second consecutive season in which LAFC have been knocked out of the Open Cup by the Galaxy in the Round of 16.
- LAFC is now 7-3-2 all-time in the U.S. Open Cup, including 6-2-0 at home.
- Of the 16 players that played on the night for LAFC, nine were teenagers and all but two were 23 years of age or younger. Only midfielder Danny Crisostomo (26) and goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic (38) were older than 23.
- The average age for LAFC’s starting back four was 19.25 with the lineup featuring two 17-year-olds, a 20-year-old and a 23-year-old.
- The average age for the 10 field players that started for LAFC was 20.2.
- Julian Gaines made his LAFC first team debut in the game, starting and playing 77 minutes at right back.
- Seven of LAFC’s starting 11 started in the previous round against Monterrey Bay. Of those seven, only goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic and midfielder Eric Duenas have started a game for LAFC in MLS play this season.
- Twelve players appeared in each of LAFC’s Open Cup games this year. Those 12 players have combined to make 11 MLS appearances for LAFC this season, including four starts with Eldin Jakupovic and Eric Duenas each starting twice.
- After saving two penalties in the shootout victory over Monterrey Bay in the Round of 32, Eldin Jakupovic saved a first half penalty kick from the Galaxy’s Riqui Puig for one of his five saves. Jakupovic made five saves in each of LAFC’s 2023 U.S. Open Cup matches.
- After making his first team debut in the Round of 32 against Monterrey Bay, forward Nathan Ordaz has now played in four consecutive games, appearing in two MLS games and two Open Cup contests.
The Black & Gold will now turn their attention to the Concacaf Champions League Final against León. The first leg of that series will be played in Mexico on Wednesday, May 31 at 7 p.m. with the second leg being played at 6 p.m. on Sunday, June 4 at BMO Stadium. Both of those games will be shown live on FS1 and TUDN.