Jose Cifuentes scored twice and LAFC scored a pair of goals two minutes apart midway through the second half to earn a 3-2 win over the LA Galaxy on Friday night before a capacity crowd at Bank of California Stadium. Cifuentes scored his first goal in the 17th minute, heading home a Kellyn Acosta corner kick to give the home side a 1-0 advantage. The Galaxy equalized in the 55th minute through Samuel Grandsir, but Cifuentes restored the LAFC lead in the 70th minute when he headed home a Carlos Vela cross. Two minutes later, Vela set up Cristian Arango for the eventual game-winning goal. Despite a late Galaxy goal, LAFC was able to hold on for the win over their crosstown rivals.
LAFC has now won each of its last four home games and remain atop the MLS standings with a 12-4-3 record for 39 points.
The Black & Gold will be back in action on Sunday, July 17 when they head to Nashville to take on Nashville SC. That game will kick off at 5:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast locally on KCOP13 and Estrella TV. It will also be available on the radio on ESPN 710 AM, ESPN LA App, and 980 AM La Mera La Mera.
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) will officially welcome Welsh international Gareth Bale to the Club in a press conference at Banc of California Stadium on Monday, July 11 at 1:30 p.m. PT at Banc of California Stadium.
NEWS & NOTES:
- Gareth Bale was in attendance at the game and was presented to the crowd at Banc of California Stadium before the game after arriving in Los Angeles earlier in the day.
- With the win, LAFC is now 8-1-2 at home this season for 26 of the club’s MLS-best 39 points.
- Tonight’s win snapped a four-game winless streak for LAFC against the Galaxy.
- LAFC is now 12-0-1 when scoring two or more goals in a game this season.
- LAFC is now a perfect 7-0-0 when scoring three or more goals this season. No other club has scored three or more goals in as many games this season.
- LAFC’s 38 goals scored are the most in MLS this season.
- With the three goals tonight, LAFC has now scored in 36 consecutive regular season home games dating back to August 22, 2020.
- Jose Cifuentes scored two goals for the first multi-goal game of his MLS career.
- His first goal in the 17th minute was the 10th goal for LAFC.
- Cifuentes now has five goals this season, tying his MLS career-high which was set in 2021.
- Carlos Vela assisted on each of LAFC’s second half goals, giving him a team-high eight assists on the season. He now has a goal or an assist in five of his last six games.
- Vela has contributed to 13 total goals against the Galaxy in the regular season (10 goals and three assists) since 2018. Only Portland’s Sebastian Blanco has more goal contributions against a single opponent in MLS in that time.
- Vela, who also had two assists in the 3-1 home win over FC Dallas on June 29, recorded multiple assists in consecutive games for the first time in his MLS career.
- Vela’s eight assists are tied for the third most in MLS this season.
- Cristian Arango scored his team-best seventh goal of the season in the 72nd minute. He has now scored in five of his last six games with the club going 4-0-1 in those five contests.
- Arango has scored the game-winning goal in each of LAFC’s last three victories. His goal tonight was the fifth game-winning goal of his MLS career.
- Kellyn Acosta was credited with an assist on Jose Cifuentes’ opening goal. He now has an assist in each of LAFC’s last two home games.
- Mahala Opoku picked up an assist on Cristian Arango’s game-winning goal. That was his first assist of the season.
- Diego Palacios was shown a yellow card in the 50th minute. That was his fifth yellow card of the season meaning that he will be suspended for LAFC’s next match.
- Palacios was playing the 60th regular season game of his LAFC career and making his 50th start.
LAFC: Saturday, July 17 at Nashville SC | 5:30 pm PT (KCOP 13, Estrella 62.2)