LAFC picked up its third victory in the last eight days with a convincing 4-0 home win over the New England Revolution. Denis Bouanga, who scored a hat trick in Thursday’s Concacaf Champions League victory over Alajuelense in Costa Rica, scored on either side of halftime before Timothy Tillman and Stipe Biuk scored their first-ever MLS goals in the final 10 minutes to round out the scoring for LAFC.
With the win, LAFC is now a perfect 2-0-0 on the season for six points. One of two teams that are yet to lose or tie a game this season, the club is currently tied for second place in the Western Conference.
Highlights | LAFC 4-0 New England Revolution 3/12/23
NEWS & NOTES
- With the win, LAFC is now 2-0-0 on the season for six points.
- LAFC is one of two teams, along with the expansion St. Louis City SC, that is yet to lose or tie a game in MLS this season.
- This is the third time that LAFC has opened the season 2-0-0, and the first time that they have done so since 2019.
- LAFC has never lost either of its first two games in a season.
- LAFC’s seven goals scored are the second-most in MLS this season. Only St. Louis, who has played one more game than the Black & Gold, has scored more than LAFC.
- LAFC’s four goals are tied for the most by a team in MLS this season. Each Philadelphia and Seattle scored four during the opening week of the season.
- Sergi Palencia made his MLS debut in the game, starting at right back and playing 65 minutes.
- Stipe Biuk, Aaron Long and Timothy Tillman all made their first starts for the club.
- Denis Bounaga gave LAFC a 1-0 lead with a first-half penalty kick. That was his first-ever penalty for LAFC.
- Bouanga is the sixth different LAFC player to take a penalty in a regular season game, and the fifth to convert one.
- He added a second goal midway through the second half, finishing a feed from Jose Cifuentes. He is now tied for second in MLS with two goals on the season. He is one of 15 players with two goals in MLS this season, one behind league leader Jordan Morris.
- Since joining LAFC in the summer of 2022, Bouanga has appeared in 13 games for the club. He has scored more than one goal in three of those matches, all of which have come in his last six games, dating back to the start of the MLS Cup Playoffs.
- Timothy Tillman scored his first goal in MLS in the 83rd minute.
- Just before the final whistle, Stipe Biuk rounded out the scoring with his first-ever goal for LAFC.
- Bouanga and Cifuentes were each credited with assists on that goal. Bouanga now has an assist in each of LAFC’s MLS games this season.
- Jose Cifuentes recorded two assists in the game, tying his career-high for most assists in a contest. He also had two assists in the 2022 season opening victory over Colorado.
- Cifuentes is now tied for second in MLS in assists with two. Only St. Louis midfielder Eduard Löwen has more this season.
- Goalkeeper John McCarthy made one save to earn the victory and his first regular season shutout for LAFC.
- Defender Denil Maldonado came on in the 72nd minute to make his LAFC and MLS debut.
- Midfielder Kellyn Acosta made the 230thregular season appearance of his MLS career while Ryan Hollingshead made his 225th, Carlos Vela made his 120th, Jose Cifuentes made his 85th, Diego Palacios made his 75th, John McCarthy made his 45th.
LAFC will be back in action at home on Wednesday, March 15 when the club hosts Alajuelense in the second leg of their Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 aggregate goal series. After winning the first leg 3-0 in Costa Rica on Thursday night, LAFC can advance to the Champions League quarterfinals with a win, draw or loss by two goals or less. The club returns to MLS action on Saturday, March 18 when it travels north to face Seattle Sounders FC.