The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) advanced to MLS Cup for the first time in Club history with a convincing 3-0 win over Austin FC on Sunday afternoon at Banc of California Stadium.
Western Conference Final Highlights | LAFC 3-0 Austin FC 10/30/22
LAFC will now host the winner of tonight’s Eastern Conference Final between the Philadelphia Union and New York City FC in MLS Cup 2022 at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday, November 5. That game will kick off at 1 p.m. PT and will be shown live on FOX and UniMas.
Cristian Arango gave LAFC a 1-0 lead in the 29th minute as LAFC outshot the visitors 16-1 in the opening 45 minutes. LAFC doubled its lead just after the hour mark when a Carlos Vela corner kick deflected into the net off Austin forward Maxi Urruti to make the score 2-0. Mahala Opoku finished out the scoring in the 81st minute, capitalizing on a turnover to score LAFC’s third and sending the sellout crowd of 22,175 into celebrations.
NEWS & NOTES:
- With the win, LAFC advance to MLS Cup for the first time in Club history.
- LAFC is the ninth Supporters’ Shield winner to reach MLS Cup.
- LAFC is now 3-3-0 all-time in the MLS Cup Playoffs, including 3-2-0 at Banc of California Stadium.
- Head coach Steve Cherundolo is now the 10th coach in MLS history to reach MLS Cup in his first season as a head coach in the league.
- Chicho Arango scored LAFC’s opening goal in the 29thminute. He now has goals in each of LAFC’s two postseason games, leaving him tied with Carlos Vela, Adama Diomande and Denis Bouanga as the top scorers in club postseason history.
- Carlos Vela, who is the only player to appear in all six of LAFC’s all-time playoff games, was credited with the assist on that goal. He now has an assist in five of LAFC’s six postseason games.
- LAFC outshot Austin 16-1 in the first half. That is the largest shot difference in the first half of an MLS Cup Playoff game since at least 2010.
- Maxime Crepeau made one save to earn the first postseason clean sheet in LAFC history.
- Mahala Opoku finished the scoring in the 81st minute. He is the eighth different player to score in the playoffs for LAFC.
- LAFC have now scored after the 80th minute in each of their two playoff games this season.