The Los Angeles Football Club remains the only unbeaten team in MLS play in 2023 following a 1-1 tie Saturday night in Nashville. LAFC is now 5-0-3 (18 points), good for second place in the Western Conference behind St. Louis City, with a game in hand.
Highlights | LAFC 1-1 Nashville SC 4/22/23
Nashville’s Hany Mukhtar gave the home side a 1-0 lead in the 35th minute of the first half. Denis Bouanga would level the score in the 59th minute, netting his seventh goal, and first on the road, of the MLS regular season. Both teams had numerous chances to break the deadlock but after 90 minutes the match would end in a 1-1 tie.
Cherundolo: 'Hard Fought Match; Good Point On The Road'
- LAFC is the last unbeaten team in Major League Soccer this season.
- With tonight’s result, LAFC (5-0-3) set a new club record for best start to a season, going unbeaten through the first eight matches in league play. In the past 20 years, LAFC is the only team to go unbeaten through the first seven games in multiple seasons.
- Erik Dueñas recorded his first start for LAFC, becoming the second homegrown player in club history to record a first team start. Christian Torres was the first, starting against Portland on July 11, 2020.
- José Cifuentes reached 90 regular season appearances.
- Midfielder Mateusz Bogusz registered his first LAFC start.
- Defender Jesús Murillo registered his 70th regular season start (73 apps) in Black & Gold.
- Goalkeeper John McCarthy reached his 50th MLS career regular season appearance (49 MLS career starts)
- Defender Diego Palacios recorded his 80th regular season appearance (69 starts) for LAFC.
Dueñas: 'I'm Grateful To Be On This Amazing Team'
LAFC is back in action Wednesday, April 26 when the Club travels to Philadelphia to face the Union in the first leg of the Concacaf Champions League Semifinals at Subaru Park at 6 p.m. PT.
Six days later, LAFC returns home to BMO Stadium for the return leg of the Semifinal series on Tuesday, May 2. Kick off for the match is scheduled for 7 p.m. PT. Both games will be televised live on FS1 and TUDN (Spanish).
Ilie: 'We're Looking Forward To Wednesday Against Philadelphia'